The Shimosuwa-juku developed as a Monzen town of Suwa Taisha Shimosha but it was a lodging crowded with lots of guests such as travelers and merchants as it was pursuing with Koshu way. It is also the only lodging site with the only hot spring in Nakasendo. The Shimosuwa-juku was located approximately 21.2 km from the Wada-juku. The town had a population of 1,345 (man 706、woman 639), 315 houses, one honjin, one waki-honjin，and 40 hatago in the year 1843.
It is inside of hatagaya. The travelers got up from the bath and hung a wipe on a stick. A female employee serves dinner to six male travelers.