The Kurano-juku was crowded as an immediate vicinity with the “Nikko reiheishi Kaido” and a lodging town as well as a distribution point for the river banks of Torikawa when the Nakasendo road was improved. The Kuragano-juku was located 5.9 km from the Shinmachi-juku. Travelers had to cross two rivers (the Nukui and Yanase Rivers) by ferry in order to reach the Kuragano-juku. The town had a population of 2,032, 297 houses, one honjin，two waki-honjin, and 32 hatago in the year 1843. .
A woman traveling from a teahouse looks at children's play. The boys are catching fish and turtles. The wife of the tea house polishes it by scrubbing the bottom of the kettle.